The crisis in Yemen explained in map
Yemeni media say at least 445 people have been killed in 15 days of Saudi-led airstrikes across the country. The majority of the casualties are women and children. Over a thousand people have also been injured in the air raids. Saudi Arabia and its allies started the air campaign in Yemen on March 26. Earlier, fighter jets targeted several locations across the country. A number of civilians, many of them children were injured as airstrikes hit a residential area in the capital Sana’a. Warplanes have also bombed al-Jand area in Taizz province. The World Health Organization says over six-hundred and forty people have been killed in both the air raids and the clashes throughout Yemen since March 19 2015
The War in Yemen Explained in 5 Minutes – Caleb Maupin
Caleb Maupin addresses “Moratorium Now!”, the coalition to fight foreclosures and water shutoffs in Detroit. He explains the war in Yemen
The Debate – Saudi War On Yemen
A war started on March 26, 2015 but many people had not heard about it. And even now after more than 15 months since the start, Saudi Arabia continues to bombard Yemen, mostly targeting civilian areas and infrastructure. More than 10 thousand people have been reportedly killed. However the biggest victims are the smallest ones, the children who have been already killed and many others who are dying a slow death. Many are asking as the rate of cancer and other diseases is rising in Yemen especially amongst the children, is all of this a direct result of the Saudis’ using illegal weapons, such as phosphorous and cluster bombs and some eyewitnesses say even small nuclear bombs have been used against the Yemeni people.
Number of malnourished children skyrocketing in Yemen, UN urges end to conflict amid Saudi strikes
UN humanitarian aid chief Stephen O’Brien, who travelled to Yemen and was shocked by what he saw, has called on all parties in the conflict to give access to aid, as Yemenis are becoming poorer – and hungrier – by the day.
Saudi airstrikes on Yemen kill over 140 people
Yemen has been the scene of carnage after Saudi warplanes pounded a funeral gathering in the capital Sana’a, killing over 140 people and injuring over 620 more. Yemen’s Security officials say Saudi warplanes launched two air raids on the same target. The first strike hit the funeral ceremony for the father of Yemen’s interior minister. Later, a second air raid targeted the same vicinity while medical staff was trying to evacuate the injured. A number of senior Ansarullah members are said to be among the fatalities. The United Nations humanitarian coordinator in Yemen confirmed that airstrikes caused the destruction adding that aid workers were shocked and outraged by the scenes of devastation.
Thousands rally outside UN office in Yemen after deadly airstrike blamed on Saudi-led coalition
Tens of thousands of angry protesters, many of whom were armed, took to the streets of Yemen’s capital, Sanaa, to protest an airstrike on a funeral ceremony that left over 150 dead and hundreds injured and call for an investigation. Some of the protesters chanted “Allahu Akbar! America is the Great Satan!” while reportedly also shouting death threats directed at Saudi Arabia’s rulers, according to AFP.
Saudi Arabia once again bombs Yemen, causing more death and devastation in the war-torn country. Saudi warplanes carried out two air raids on the Baqim district of Yemen’s Sa’ada province. Casualties have been reported in the north-western region. Saudi jets also targeted a military faculty in the capital Sana’a. Riyadh launched a deadly campaign against Yemen in March 2015. Over 10,000 people, mostly civilians, have been killed in the onslaught so far.
Obama Is Killing Yemen: A Yemeni Journalist Speaks Out After U.S.-Backed Bombing Strikes Funeral
On Sunday, thousands of Yemenis gathered at the United Nations building in Sana’a calling for an international investigation into the U.S-backed Saudi assault on a funeral hall. The attack was carried out with warplanes and munitions sold to the Saudi-led coalition by the United States. The U.S. Air Force continues to provide midair refueling to Saudi warplanes. According to the U.N., more than 4,000 civilians have been killed and over 7,000 injured since the Saudi-led coalition bombing began last year. Airstrikes have reportedly caused about 60 percent of the deaths. We go to Sana’a to speak with Yemeni journalist Nasser Arrabyee and Sarah Leah Whitson of Human Rights Watch.
The Debate – Saudi War on Yemen
It’s been called a bloody massacre: over 140 killed and hundreds injured. The Saudi-led coalition bombing of a funeral procession has prompted international outcry. The White House, a major arms supplier to Saudi Arabia has since announced it would be reviewing its military support to Saudi Arabia, in what has been reported as the one of the largest death tolls in a single attack since March last year. In this edition of the debate, we’ll ask if this is an American made catastrophe in Yemen, and whether both Saudi Arabia and the US have committed war crimes in that country.
UK govt admits training Saudi pilots despite Yemen war crimes allegations
The UK is still training the Saudi Air Force despite growing evidence of the Saudi-led coalition’s crimes against civilians in Yemen, Defence Secretary Michael Fallon admitted, replying to an MP’s question.
The Debate – UK Saudi Support
Are people on the streets of Britain safer with the killing of Yemeni civilians? Well if we listen to UK Prime Minister Theresa May and her defense of London’s support for Saudi Arabia, perhaps so. Though Riyadh is involved in a brutal onslaught on Yemen, which has killed more than 10 thousand people, mostly civilians since March of last year, it has been revealed that the British Government is training the Saudi Air Force inside of Saudi Arabia as well as inside of the UK. The Liberal Democrats describe its country’s support for a regime like Riyadh as “shameful” and are demanding an end to it. May insists that selling arms to Saudi Arabia keep Brits safe. Stay with us as we look at this tug of war in the UK where it appears pounds will win out over people.
Saudi jets target Yemen’s Sa’ada with cluster bombs
Saudi jets have intensified airstrikes on Yemen with the end of a three-day UN-backed ceasefire. The deadliest air raids targeted Baqim district in Sa’ada province. Saudi warplanes used internationally-banned cluster bombs in their attack, leaving six civilians dead. The strikes also targeted Nihm district in Sa’ada province and a water storage facility in Hudaydah. The Yemeni army and allied forces have launched attacks on Saudi bases in retaliation for Riyadh’s onslaught. Ansarullah forces targeted Najran province with two ballistic missiles. Meanwhile, the UN envoy for Yemen is in the capital Sana’a to push for a new ceasefire.