Syria Updates: 22 April Articles And Videos

Israel attacks Syrian army –  Yet another illegal Israeli attack on Syria. Israel has reportedly attacked positions of the Syrian Arab Army in Quneitra near the Golan Heights, a legal part of Syrian territory which Israel has illegally occupied since 1967.A Syrian source has reported the following information to Sputnik,

by Adam Garrie, The Duran:  

“Enemy warplanes of Israel launched two missiles from the occupied territory  at 18:45 on one of the positions of our army. It caused material damage”.

Israel’s repeated attacks on Syria are generally ignored by the US and its allies. The last major Israel attack on Syria resulted in the Israeli ambassador to Moscow being summoned by Russia to explain what had happened.

The Syrian source continued,

“These actions will not stop the fight of our Armed Forces against terrorist groups which are close to Israel”.

Israel earlier claimed that a missile from Syria landed harmlessly on Israeli occupied territory.

______________________________________

Israeli jets bomb Syria after mortar attack

Israeli warplanes have once again targeted Syria’s Golan Heights, causing material damage.
According the Syrian Army, the Israel jets fired two rockets towards an army position. The Israeli military claims two mortar shells were fired from inside Syria which caused no casualties or damage. It, however, noted that the shelling from Syria may have been unintentional. Israel has frequently attacked Syrian territories since the foreign-backed militancy gripped the Arab country back in 2011. Israel is accused of assisting anti-Syria armed groups and treating militants injured while fighting Syrian government forces.

______________________________________________________

Assad accuses Nusra front for Sat. blast

The Syrian president has blamed the Nusra Front terrorist group for last Saturday’s bomb attack on buses carrying evacuees from the two besieged towns of Fu’ah and Kafriya. Bashar al-Assad said the group had previously threatened to kill anyone who tried to leave the towns and that’s what happened. He added that the terrorist group last year burned several buses on their way to transport sick and injured people out of Fu’ah and Kafriya. Over 120 people were reportedly killed in the attack last week. The evacuation was part of a deal between Damascus and the militants. Under the deal, armed groups and their families were to leave the towns of Madaya and Zabadani in Damascus Countryside. In exchange, the militants allow the evacuation of the towns of Fu’ah and Kafriya in Idlib province. Earlier on Friday, the evacuation process resumed after a 48-hour halt.

____________________________________________________

Chemical ‘attack’ was false flag to justify strike on airbase – President Assad

Syrian President Bashar Assad warned that what he called “false flag” incidents and provocations, similar to the one he said took place in the town of Khan Shaykhun, are likely to occur in future to give the US a pretext for an attack.

___________________________________________

Assad:100% sure chemical weapons reached Syria via Turkey

Syrian President Bashar al-Assad said that chemical weapons were delivered to militants in Syria via Turkey, speaking during an interview in Damascus on Wednesday.

______________________________________________

What Prevents a New Dialogue on the Syrian Constitution In Astana and Geneva?

by Sophie Mangal,

American Warship ‘Liberty Passion’ in the port of Aqaba, Jordan

The preparations for the next meetings on Syria in Astana and Geneva scheduled for May, are gaining momentum. Politicians continue to express their views on the process of the six-year conflict’s peaceful settlement. The Minister for Foreign Affairs of Kazakhstan, Kairat Abdrakhmanov, in particular, called on all the parties interested in resolving the situation in Syria to join the negotiations some days before

In this regard the opposition’s strategy raises a lot of questions. According to Al-Sharq Al-Awsat, its representatives have not yet decided whether to participate or not. Delegations of various opposition groups expressed their readiness to discuss only the issues of prisoners’ exchange and mine clearance, but categorically opposed such questions as the formation of a commission on the development of a new constitution of Syria and the organization of management in those areas where military operations have already been stopped

The comprehensive implementation of all the four points of the new agenda of the negotiations could really advance the peace process in Syria. However, those who stand behind the armed opposition do not need this. In this situation, the information which came to light on the Egyptian Center for Research and Strategic Studies seems to be contradictory. According to Ravabet Center, Qatar plans to increase pressure on loyal militant factions in order to make their position more suitable to B. Assad’s allies that in principle could help the process of settlement.

The continuation of a full-fledged dialogue on the future of Syria is also hampered by the missile attack that the U.S. carried out on April 7 at the Shayrat airbase. The moment of strike surprisingly coincided with the development of the events on the field of Geneva and Astana, when the setting up of a constitutional commission had been outlined among the negotiators and the Syrians had received a slim chance for the end of the war.

The situation is also aggravated by the actions of individual media and people in Twitter that disseminate rumors about American military equipment being transferred to southern Syria under the pretext of combating ISIS from Jordan.

The continuing armed struggle between government troops and fighters opposed to the truce also exerts a significant impact on the political dialogue. At the moment, military operations are being conducted in the provinces of Damascus, Aleppo, Hama and other areas of the country.

Apparently, a breakthrough during the negotiations is possible only when all the participants sit down at the negotiating table together to dialog openly and transparently, softening their positions. Any boycott of the talks can, first of all, negatively affect the opposition itself. In this regard, it would be good to attract not the opposition itself, but the forces that are running this opposition to participate in the negotiations. It may be identified as a destructive element in the system with all that it implies. The involvement of such Arab countries as Saudi Arabia and Qatar probably may contribute to the dialogue too.

_______________________________________

West blocks OPCW investigation of alleged Idlib chemical attack

[ Veterans Today Editor’s Note:  Now we have not only a highly probable fake gas attack in Idlib, but an investigation that is more fake than the attack itself. There has been little public outrage over the investigation scandal, mainly do to a steady string of other news stories that quickly become the problem of the day.

The Brits are getting ready for an election and the EU leaked their very tough negotiating stand to throw a huge political bomb into that process.

France is getting some “warm up” terror attacks in the most public of places. And Germany is being total it is sucking the EU and even the US up with its steady and growing trade surpluses. It’s Foreign ministers says “bull shit” to that, something we can print at VT.

China is distracted with the North Korea problem, but not Russia and Iran who are being groomed as the country versions of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, via the childish comments now coming from the Pentagon’s General Mattis and Secretary of State Tillerson. This is turning into one hell of a scary leadership crew. Is the Trump disease spreading?Jim W. Dean ]

Jim’s Editor’s Notes are solely crowdfunded via PayPalJimWDean@aol.com

This includes research, needed field trips, Heritage TV Legacy archiving, and more – Thanks for helping out

____________________________________________

–  First published  …  April 21,  2017 –

from Southfront

Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov has slammed Western powers for the blocking of the proposal at the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) on investigating the alleged chemical weapon use in in Khan Shaykhun village in the Syrian province of Idlib.

“Yesterday, our joint proposal that OPCW experts visit the sites of the suspected chemical weapon use incident in Syria was blocked by western delegations without coherent explanations. This showed the complete incompetence of the positions of our western colleagues who basically prohibit the OPCW from sending their experts to the site of the incident, to the air base from where aircraft loaded with chemical weapons allegedly flew out,” the foreign minister said on April 21 at a joint meeting with his Chinese counterpart, Wang Yi, according to the Russian state-run news agency Sputnik.

Lavrov emphasized that no response has been received from the UK or France to Russian requests for detailed information on alleged chemical weapon probes taken in Idlib.

I think we are very close to this organization [OPCW] being discredited,” he said, adding that “it is evident now that the false information about chemical weapons use by the Syrian state is being used to avoid enacting resolution 2254 that stipulates a political settlement. Instead, there is a move towards the long-standing plan for regime change. I’m certain that we must prevent it.”

On April 19, Director of the Armaments Non-Proliferation and Control Department at the Russian Foreign Ministry Mikhail Ulyanov said that no serious steps have been made to investigate the incident.

“We received the first reports [about the incident] 15 days ago, yet no serious action has been taken to investigate these reports. At any rate, we have no information about the OPCW representatives visiting the Khan Sheikhun area,”he said in an address to the special session of the OPCW.

On the first day of this meeting, some delegations spoke as if the Syrian government’s involvement in the alleged chemical attack on Khan Sheikhun had been established beyond doubt. The United States not only placed the blame on the Syrian government but even meted out punishment without waiting for investigation results. Its missile strike on a target in a sovereign state was in flagrant violation of international law, including the UN Charter. There are grounds to describe it as an act of aggression. This is not a polemic attempt to hurt the American delegation. This conclusion is absolutely free of emotion and is based on the Definition of Aggression that was approved at the UN General Assembly in 1974. This Definition says clearly that acts that qualify as aggression include the “bombardment by the armed forces of a state against the territory of another state.” This is exactly what happened in Syria.

It is puzzling that a number of countries from among the closest US allies rushed to express their approval of this missile strike. Time after time, they point to its supposedly “proportionate” nature. “Proportionate” to what, I wonder? The presence or absence of chemical weapons on Shayrat airbase? In truth, a request to the OPCW to conduct an inspection at the airbase would be a proportionate response to suspicions regarding the presence of chemical warfare agents. This would make it possible to establish the truth in the shortest possible time, acting efficiently and strictly within the legal framework.

Unfortunately, the United States, as we see, does not believe in the effectiveness of the CWC mechanisms and prefers to act outside its legal field, resorting to gross violations of international norms instead. In all likelihood, the show of force and intimidation was the purpose of this illegal action, not the destruction of chemical weapons, the presence of which in Syria no one has so far proved.

To support its actions, Washington refers to it having absolute confidence in the culpability of Damascus. This is what our American colleagues themselves call “bad déjà vu.” We heard these same things from our American colleagues 14 years ago before the invasion of Iraq. In bilateral contacts, our American partners then – just as they do now – referred to allegedly reliable intelligence. As everyone remembers, this story had a disgraceful ending. Our American and British colleagues still have to wash off this stain. They should have learned the lesson. But no, they are doing exactly the same thing this time again, without even trying to make their position more credible.”

On April 19, the French foreign minister said that France’s intelligence services have evidence that the Syrian government was behind the alleged chemical attack on Khan Shaykhun earlier this month.

“There is an investigation underway… it’s a question of days and we will provide proof that the regime carried out these strikes,” Jean-Marc Ayrault told LCP television on Wednesday.

However, no proof has been provided so far.

The story looks like Washington’s “declassified report” on the same issue.

_______________________________________________________________

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s